Search This Blog

purple wood fairy - Part 4

hello everybody,

been a while since my last post, but since then I got the fairy dress nearly done, It just needs some decoration and the matching jewelry, where I showed you the plans in my last post.

So for finishing this dress I needed to make 3 more layers for the skirt, the beige half-circle skirt from my last post, will be functioning as a petticoat.

The other layers will be actually connected to the bodice.
I started with a full circle skirt made from pink organza and then draped the pattern for the purple dverlay on my dressform, which was pretty easy in the end, since you don´t have to worry about Darts, when the pieces have such a shape.


This is how the circle skirt looks worn, I dont recommend trying it on without any sort of finishing on the waistline, because since the skirt is partially cut on it`s bias it can warp out of shape, when you aren´t carfeful. ( same reason, why you should let a circle skirt hang out at least over night)


Then I begun with the flounce, which should go around the hemline of the skirt, I calculated the circumference of the skirt, like you would from a regular circle... which was in my case something like 4 meters.
So I cut 4 spirals, each which the length of 1 meter and sewed them together. ( flounces get cut in spirals)


Then I hemmed the flounce with the technique of making a rolled hem ( you can see how I did that here)

Lastly I have sewn the flounce to the hem of the skirt and finsihed the seams with my new serger


The next step was to make the overlay, first the striped one, I made a triangular form in the front, so I could use the shape my fabric originally had (they were curtains)
The back piece is slightly rounded to be a bit more flattering.

Working on the closure was a bit of a mess, because I was kinda overwhelmed by making a closure for two layers, which should still look neat.
So what I did was sewing the back seam together and ironing the seam allowance to one side.



 Then I made the side seams, just regular seams finsihed with a serger
Before connecting the skirt to the top, I wanted to make another decorative element, which I am reffering to as the "leaves".

Those were cut 4 times from purple organza and then simply sewn together with a big seam allowance and left open at the top.

The seam allowance was finished with my serger as well, since the fabric is transparent you would have seen it fraying on the inside.
 The leaves get turned inside out and ironed flat and then brown trim got topstitched all around the edge ( no photo)
Finally I could connect all the skirt layers, first I pinned eyerthing carfully in place and stitched one time around the whole skirt with the biggest stitch length. so nothing shifts, when I am sewing this onto the wasitband.

So the skirt got attached on the lining of the waitband, then the outer waistband gets topstiched down to hide the previous stitching.

 And that was my solution for the closure, one side was stiched together, on the other, the overlay and circle skirt move indepentently, but the purple layer is a bit longer to hide the snaps that get sewn later on.


 Thanks for reading I hope you enjoyed it and subscribe to see my next post, where I will share worn photos of the complete dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment