Progress on this dress is slow and I expect it to be slow in the next weeks too, because I have a lot of things to do, some for School, some aside from the School, but all in all I am lacking time for sewing.
But over the last two weeks I did manage to finish the bodice nearly completly, I just need to fix the gathered front, since it Looks very bad when worn.
After that I can move on to the skirts, which will be a challenge, since I have 4 layers there.
But let´s start with a walktrough of the bodice:
So I am not quite sure, where I stopped with my last blog post and I am actually too lazy right now to look it up so... I think I have sewn the shoulder seams and finished the edges on the arm side.
I started off with finishing the neckline and I did that with a trim and facing. First I basted this brown corded trim on the neckline, in the shape I desired just because I don´t have to worry about the shape, when I sew the facing.
Then the facing gets sewn on and I did that with a zipper foot, so the stitching is as close as possible to the trim. (the facing gets finished before it gets sewn down)
It looked like this when sewn. to avoid the facing from slipping and therefor being visible when worn I stitched another time near the trim, but on the right side. you can see that in the photos below
You can see the additional stitch here:
After that I finished the edge of the back strap as well, so the front bodice base was done
Now for the purple overlay, cutting this was rather tricky, because I don´t had much material and a lot of pieces are cut on the bias, just because I wanted the stripes to be diagonal. That wasn´t a particulary good idea since the edges cut on the bias warped really badly so the pieces, especially the back ones were really out of shape, when I started working on them.
The cut pieces:
I started with the front pieces. The edges were ironed over two times and the sewn down two times.
I you are wondering how the bodice Looks form the inside:
And pinned to my dressform:
Moving on to the back: all the pieces were hemmed on the two sides, that means the side seam and the bottom was left raw.
With that done I could first sew the purple overlay to the base. I just made one seam on the top (!)
The other sides were basted and the side with the eylets was left open, since I need to acccess the base for lacing.
When all of this was done. I worked on the side seam, I sewed them with a seam allowance of 1 cm. and then finished them with with lace binding, but I doubled the size (two lace strips sewn together and then sewn on the seam allowance)
Then I have sewn the straps on te bodice by hand, so there isn´t any stitching visible on the outside and I also had to sew the boning channels ( former hem) of the purple organza to the satin, because I had the issue of it flipping over, when I put the bodice on.
Now for the waistband, I was really excited abou it since I loved the look of the purple organza flatlined with some really dark brown polyester-cotton.
I lined the waistband with white cotton, but you´ll see that later on.
The purple and broen get connected with a few basting stitches, also called flatlining.
The the edges were ironed to the wrong side, and also pinned in place, since the tended to flip over again.
The next step was to sew the waistband on, which sadly is not documented well, since it was a trial and error experience for me. I did a lot of experimenting.
But I´ll try to explain. to get it neatly finished on both sides.
the white lining gets sewn to the inside ( wrong side) the ironed over, so it lies flat.
The purple one gets pinned so it covers the stitching of the inner waistband.
then basically topstiched all around. but (!) I before I did that I finished the pieces that extended out of the bodice, which you can see on the very left side. I did sew that together first, right side to right side, then turned it inside out. After that I pinned the remaining waistband on and sewed over the side and top.
So I hope you unterstood what I mean and anyway thanks for reading :)
No comments:
Post a Comment